I made a tip sheet for managers — you can download it here: Joyful Museums handout#2 Managers
Bookmark these websites
Harvard Business Review Management Tip of the Day
ROI calculator — How much money will increasing employee happiness at your organization save you?
Workplace Bullying Institute — 65 million Americans have either witnessed or experienced workplace bullying. It is no doubt happening right now at your museum. Here are some resources to help you and your staff deal with the issue.
Read these articles
Assess the scene
- How happy is your organization?
- State of the American Workplace Gallup‘s ongoing study of the American workplace
Why you should care
- DATA: Gallup poll says employees worldwide are disengaged at work
- Happy employees are healthier (and cheaper)
- ADP’s infographic on employee engagement
- Why you should care about workplace culture (“People join companies but they quit managers.”)
Your leadership style
- Are you a “bad boss?”
- Are you a “jerk boss?”
- Are you an “extraordinary boss?”
- 6 concrete ways to be better boss
- Can you be a better leader? Ask yourself these questions
- Do You Have A Bad Employee, Or Are You A Bad Boss?
- Want to be a better boss? Just be mindful
- The Best Kept Leadership Secrets You Haven’t Already Heard
- Are You Making Your Employees’ Lives Harder? (Hint: Maybe)
- 9 Things You Should Never Ask Employees to Do
- 5 Phrases Every Leader Should Overuse — Tape this to your wall
How to make change
- 7 ways to keep employees happy
- 4 strategies of America’s best places to work
- Why Positive Encouragement Works Better Than Criticism, According to Science
- How to truly improve employee morale (even in tough times)
- Give staff permission to have fun
- Take your staff on a field trip — to another museum
- Recognize your employees– here are some award templates
- Motivating Your Employees While on a Budget
- Chief Happiness Officer Is the Latest, Creepiest Job in Corporate America
- Motivate Team Members with Individual Recognition
- Make yourself more likable
- Tips from Pixar
- Have better meetings
- Make Your Team Feel Powerful
- How to Create a No-Fear Culture
- 5 Things Smart Leaders Do to Empower Employees These traits are spot on, according to feedback from my survey
- Myths about workplace culture
- The argument for Results-Only Work Environment (ROWE)
- Should your employees take vacations?
- Preventing your own burnout is part of your job
- Do your staff want flexible benefits?
- Should you rethink the allotment of vacation days? Also, here.
- Give your employees the opportunity to think about their wellness
Plan better for the future
- How much a bad hire will cost you
- Hire great talent (i.e. people with personality)
- 3 ways to hire better
- Keep your staff from leaving. More ideas here. (And here’s why they are leaving)
- Redesigning the office might help the culture (and here’s where cubicles came from)
- I know you don’t want to spend money on a consultant, but here’s why you should
- Lessons museums can learn from successful corporations